required reading: a murder in music city by michael bishop
where i buy records
- third man records tiny record store launched by jack white with a ton to see inside. there are records from third man artists and beyond. you can also buy unique third man merchandise and spend time in the listening booth to hear records before you buy them.
- grimey’s records and books (east nashville): this is a bigger store than third man; it includes a stage where artists perform while you shop. don’t forget to check out the basement where they have coffee and books for you to peruse.
where i eat & drink
- bartaco (12 south): delicious tacos and insanely fresh margaritas. this is a really fun place for brunch (or any meal really) with a group of friends.
- little octopus (the gulch): unique small plates and drinks; stop here for a before or after dinner drink and snack.
- tansuo: really fun vibe for a contemporary chinese dinner. my family and i love the peking duck, which comes with plenty of warm fluffy scallion pancakes.
- edley’s bbq (12 south): memphis will always be #1 in bbq for me, but edley’s is a fantastic nashville option. they have a full bar and it’s a great spot to watch a game, relax, and enjoy some hearty southern cooking.
- san anejo (the gulch): excellent mexican restaurant with an atmosphere that will make you want to hang out and drink more than 1 margarita.
- tiny little donuts (franklin): vintage airstream with hot and fresh donuts which come in multiple flavors (lemon glaze, cinnamon sugar, chocolate, and more) and locally-brewed coffee. they often have local talent playing music outside.
- true food kitchen (green hills): i had a beautiful lunch here to celebrate my mom’s birthday. we started off with pomegranate margaritas and i ate the teriyaki quinoa bowl. everything on the menu looked delicious (with the peace of mind that they prepare their food and drinks with healthy ingredients).
- 55 south (multiple locations): always a fun place to grab a beer and american cuisine. great place to watch a game or catch up with friends.
- local taco (brentwood): yet another good place for mexican food and margaritas.
- urban grub (12 south): awesome casual spot with indoor/outdoor seating. i got a glass of wine, raw oysters, and charcuterie.
- oak bar at the hermitage hotel (downtown): this vintage bar is nestled inside of the beautiful and timeless hermitage hotel. hint: check out the men’s bathroom (famous for its art deco decor). i got a moscow mule, double h farms sliders, and truffle fries.
where i shop
- emmaline, white’s mercantile, bink’s (downtown franklin)
- the gulch
- green hills mall
- hillsboro village
- stacy rhodes boutique (brentwood)
- hill center (brentwood)
- outdoor voices, marine layer (12 south)
where i drink coffee
- frothy monkey
where i buy books
- parnassus books (owned by author ann patchett)
- landmark books (franklin)
favorite bookstore: landmark books